WEB ROI Video Tip: Avoid Losing Your Customer in 3 Seconds
Welcome to the WEB ROI video tip series.
These are short, helpful videos on how to improve the performance of your website (which, in turn, will help maximize the return on investment it delivers for you).
First up: How to avoid losing customers in 3 seconds without you knowing it.
- If your website doesn’t load in 3 seconds, 50% of visitors will leave
- Mobile websites need to load within 6 seconds, or else 46% of people will bail
- A slow-loading website has a direct impact on conversion rates
- Give your website a speed test to see how it performs
Your website has 3 seconds to make its first impression
That’s all the time your website goes to load and display property on a laptop or desktop computer.
If your website doesn’t load in 3 seconds – for whatever reason – approximately half of the people checking it out will leave and not give it a second chance.
Here’s how it would play out in the real world:
- 100 people visit your physical retail location
- The front door sticks and doesn’t open for 50 of them
- Those 50 people leave and take their business elsewhere
Just think about how annoyed you get when a website takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to load.
That’s how customers feel when they can’t get on your website.
People’s attention spans are shorter than ever. They demand instant results.
And your website only has 3 seconds to deliver them.
Mobile users are a bit more patient (but not much)
There’s an understanding that browsing on smartphones or tablets (especially while on the go) is a bit slower than surfing at home.
So when people check out a website from their mobile devices, they’ll give 6 seconds before 46% of people abandon it.
Usually when people are researching companies, products or services, they know what they’re looking for and want to get it immediately.
They aren’t spending time researching, say, what the next big home improvement trend is.
Instead, they want to know where they can pick up new handles for their kitchen cabinets.
They’re ready to buy and if your mobile website doesn’t load in 6 seconds or less, it won’t be from you.
Website speed will impact your conversion rates
One extra second of load time can result in a 7% drop in conversion rates.
- As mentioned in point #1, 50% of people will leave a website if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load. It’s hard to maintain high conversion rates when half your visitors instantly disappear.
- For those who stick around, they may be put off by the experience they’ll look to shop elsewhere. Or maybe other parts of your website (like your shopping cart) are slow-loading too.
Whatever the case may be, when people are waiting, they aren’t buying or shopping.
And when they have to wait too long, they’ll choose to buy, shop or do business with someone else.
Take your website for a speed test
The easiest way to know just how fast your website loads is to give it a speed test.
It’s real easy. All you have to do is find a FREE website speed tester on Google, enter in your website URL and let the test run its course.
It only takes a few seconds and it’s full of valuable technical information too.
But the only thing you should worry about is the speed and load times of your website.
And if you find your website takes too long to load, you should...
Find out how we can help boost website speed for you
In 2016, there’s no excuse for having a slow-loading website that costs you visitors, leads and dollars.
There are multiple reasons why your website load times are slow:
- Poor coding
- Incorrect image sizes
- Too much text
- Complicated navigation
Fortunately, the WEB ROI team can fix them all and create the super-speedy website your business deserves.
Start by scheduling a FREE call. We’ll look over your website, compare it to your competitor's, talk about business needs and show you how a fast-loading website can help grow your business by as much as 30%.