How to Write Killer SEO Content
You oversee creating content that will attract the attention of potential clients. This is no easy feat. In fact, creating content that speaks to people is hard to achieve. What is even harder is creating content that Google will see.
In order to be successful, you must create content that attracts people but also attracts search engines. How can this be achieved? Through a tried-and-true content writing algorithm.
Whether you are a business owner, social media manager, or content writer, creating killer SEO content is necessary for the success of your business.
What is SEO Copywriting?
SEO copywriting is always evolving as Google rolls out new updates quite consistently.
SEO copywriting is all about creating useful, compelling, and valuable content (that targets specific keywords), so that other people will share it on other platforms. This creates thought leadership. It gives you authority and relevance to your content and also improves your ranking in Google for the keywords that you used.
SEO copywriting helps you target your customers and solve their specific problems through well-crafted content. It is extremely important to not forget that you are writing for people as well as the algorithm. Speak to the customer’s needs and wants, evoke emotion, and watch your ranking results rise.
Types of SEO Content
There are a variety of SEO content options that you can utilize. They include:
- Products Pages: The heart and soul of any retail e-commerce site. A good product page can serve as both SEO content and a PPC landing page.
- Blog Posts: This is the easiest way to create a regular stream of effective SEO content. Blog posts are engaging and have a higher chance of link click through than product pages.
- Articles: This includes news articles, interviews, or any type of featured piece or case study.
- Lists: Like an article but the title is framed in a captivating way such as “10 Ways to Lower Your Hydro Bill.” These types of titles are more clickable when found in search engines or on social media.
- Guides: This is a longer piece of content that explains in detail how to do something valuable. You can post a full guide on your website, or a summary, requiring visitors to fill out a form to read the full guide. This is a great way to lead to opt-ins for your email marketing.
- Videos: It can be easier to rank on the first page for a competitive keyword if you decide to create a video instead of an article. Videos are a great way to attract and reach an audience. You can create video tutorials, case studies, guides, and so on. There are a lot of opportunities to rank here.
- Infographics: This is a large format image that contains a lot of data on a single subject. You must optimize the whole page your infographic is on because most of the content is embedded.
Your SEO Content Strategy
If you have been creating content in a haphazard manner, hoping that some of it will rank, then it’s time to buckle down and commit to a more thorough SEO content strategy for your marketing and business efforts.
These four steps below will help define and refine your SEO content strategy
Define your Goals
Your goals will determine what type of content you should be producing.
If you a primarily trying to drive product sales, your primary focus should be attractive, informative product pages that are optimized for both search engines and conversions. Then your next focus will be on helpful blog content that shows when and how to use your products, linking to relevant pages.
If your site operates on an advertising model and the goal is to attract new readers through search, you will want to focus on rich content such as articles and videos which keep visitors on your site longer.
Consider Your Audience
Surveys and analytics software will help you get a great picture of who your typical visitor or client is. Creating marketing personas or characters that represent your ideal site visitor or customer is a great resource. The next step is to think about what kind of content they want to see.
If you are a B2B website that targets C-level executives, you will want to create whitepapers that can be downloaded and saved. This is also a great opportunity to collect user information and build your email list.
If your business targets a young audience, then you will want to focus on multiple updates with less text and more images and videos.
Create a Content Calendar
Once you know who you are targeting and the reasoning behind it, you can start to build out a content calendar. This is a schedule that allows you to organize when you will publish new content and what type of content it will be. This also helps to keep you on a regular schedule.
The last step is to stay on top of your site’s analytics. Analyze your site and your SEO content regularly to see what is working and what is not. Look into your page views, links, comments on blog posts, social shares, and conversion rates to see where you stand.
Tips for Creating Your Best SEO Content This Year
- Write for your audience first and then incorporate SEO-friendly content.
- Keep your original content under your domain name to drive traffic directly to your website.
- Make punchy headlines, ones that stand out from the crowd. Make them clear, interesting, and full of keywords.
- Use keyword-rich phrases. This means you should conduct keyword research and incorporate those words into your content where you can.
- Structure your posts. Make sure your readability score on your posts is in green. Use small and clear paragraphs. Use proper tag hierarchy when writing your headlines such as H1 for titles and H2 for subtitles.
- Use images. Make your content pop with images. People are visual learners. Adding images to your SEO content can make a big impression.
- Use social media for your SEO content. Social media is a powerful tool that will increase your reach and aid in promoting content.
- Promote natural link building. Links are an important part of SEO. Linking to your own articles or websites in your SEO content ensures a link back to your website.
Writing SEO content for people and for search engines helps boost your search results. It is important that the content you create is getting seen by the right people and enough people. Writing SEO content has the potential to convert leads into sales and it can also place your company as a thought leader.
If this seems like a lot to take in or to start your own process of creating killer SEO content, contact WEB ROI today!