Yesterday we discussed the benefits of creating a social media strategy in order to take advantage of effective internet marketing. Done properly and effectively, social media can increase your ROI, generate leads and be an excellent source of new business and income. However, if done ineffectively social media can be a large time waster.
Let’s discuss today how to effectively integrate the use of blogs into your social media strategy.
Blogging is the first step to social media efficiency. A blog is a type of website, or part of a website that is maintained by an individual who regularly creates blog entries. These entries can consist of:
- Descriptions and opinions of current events
- Information related to the blogger’s field of expertise
- Updates on current trends
- Tips and suggestions for readers
- Graphics, videos or audio clips
The best way to implement a blog is to have the blog on your website. Once you have the blog set up put a plan together as to how often and when you will create new blog entries:
- Consider who in your business will be responsible for writing the blog’s content
- Consider how often you will blog. The more frequently the better because search engines love new, relevant content. Blogging daily is ideal
- Ensure you blog regularly so that your readers (and Google’s web crawlers) know when to expect new content. If you can’t blog daily try to blog on the same days of the week (ie. Tuesdays and Thursdays)
Before You Start to Write the Blogs
- Consider who your audience is. You should always have your audience in mind when you write. Ask yourself who you would like to read your blog.
- Once you know your audience, you need to consider what content they will be most interested in reading about
- Do some keyword research so that you can put relevant search phrases in appropriate places in your blog posts and meta tags – this will help you with the search engine optimization of your blog
- Keywords should ideally be placed in the title and headings of your blog. You also want your keyword to appear in the first and last 25 words of the blog
What to Write About?
You can write about anything in your blog, but you will want to keep your audience in mind and write to fill their needs. From a business perspective you want to ensure your blog is informative rather than sales-oriented. No one enjoys reading a sales pitch, but if you offer interesting and useful information that they need then they will come back and read more.
Here are some ideas:
- The top 10 things in your business you find yourself explaining over and over again
- Topics from your website
- Topics from your email marketing campaigns
- Industry trends
- Tips (ie. 5 tips to help you keep your lawn green)
- How-to information (ie. how to install a light fixture)
- Guides (Guide to purchasing a new car)
Be creative when you are deciding what content to write about, just remember:
- You want to provide information
- You want to showcase your expertise
- Write in an engaging way
- Don’t be afraid to let your personality show through your writing
- Don’t focus on selling – this is a big turn off for readers
Blogging is an easy, cost effective method of tapping into social media. Daily blogging can take just an hour a day of your time and the results will be great, including boosting your website rating in Google, increasing your internet and social media presence and expanding your network. To maximize your blogging efficiency, consider feeding the blog into your Facebook and Twitter pages.
Tomorrow, in Part 3 of our series we will discuss how to effectively integrate Facebook into your social media strategy.
To learn more about how social media can improve your business consider contacting us or .