Hammer the Competition - How Successful Home Renovation Contractors Get Found First Online.
How Other Home Renovation Contractors Steal Your Business.
There was a time when a website, any website, was all successful contractors needed to stay ahead of the competition. A website led to more phone calls.
Less successful contractors:
- Didn’t buy into the value of an online presence.
- Weren’t willing to invest in long-term gains, or didn’t have the capital to invest back into the business.
- Fell waaaaaay behind.
Today, a basic website doesn’t cut it. You can't just get a website built and cross your fingers. Competing contractors invest in more than the basics and leave you in the dust. They get the calls, you don’t.
You don’t need just a website to compete with local home renovation contractors. You need an online presence so customers searching for home reno contractors in your area find you first.
Think of it like this. If you owned a retail store, you wouldn’t buy the smallest unit tucked in the back of some forgotten strip mall, and you certainly wouldn’t leave old construction materials all over the floor and old, burned-out light bulbs in your fixtures.
You wouldn’t leave a gaping, dusty hole in the drywall. Why is it OK to leave a gaping hole in your online marketing program?
Don’t let your competitor become the next Bob Vila or Bryan Baeumler. Take back the good, ready-to-buy customers by:
- Investing in better digital marketing strategies
- Targeting potential customers more effectively
- Landing the sale faster
We can help them find you with these 6 strategies.
You found us. They’ll find you.
A Website That Looks and Acts Like a Contractor’s Should.
A good website is still the centerpiece of your online presence. It has about 2 seconds to:
- Give a good first impression
- Make visitors comfortable
- Communicate what you do and how you do it
- Show customers their options
- Tell visitors it’s easy to get in touch with you
And, since your customers most likely use smartphones to search for you (most local web searches come from mobile devices), it has to look just as good on mobile as it does on a desktop or laptop.
When you visit a client’s home, how often do you just build or tear down a wall? There’s more to it than that most of the time, right? They want a wall to come down, so you have to pull out the electrical or redirect the plumbing. You have to maintain the structural support the wall provided.
Your website is like that wall. All sorts of things hide in there, working away to make your life easier. It’s not just a pretty thing to look at.
Behind the scenes, your competitor’s websites:
- Ease clients through the online sales process
- Reduce friction and ease worries
- Build trust fast
- Adapt to the devices clients use
- Track data so they can make informed improvements to business and sales practices
Yours should do all that, but better. Want to learn more about how you can optimize your website? Contact our experts at WEB ROI today.
Get the Best Location, Put Up the Brightest Sign in Town.
Digital agencies like ours call it Search Engine Optimization (SEO). We use it to get you the best location on the busiest street in the world (Google).
The higher you appear in Google’s search results, the more clients find you (and pay for your services). Appearing on page 1 in Google’s search results instead of page 2 likely means tens of thousands of dollars for your business.
It’s complex. That’s why your competitors pay a digital agency to do it.
We find the best keywords, optimize the content on your website based on that research and show potential clients how you can alleviate their pain.
Competing home reno contractors have:
- The right keywords
- The right user experience
- The right links
Did you know Google can even tell if your website is easy for humans to use? It knows and rewards user-friendly websites with a high search rank.
A higher search rank brings more phone calls. You want that, right?
How Much Would You Pay For 1 Strong Customer Lead?
What does an average client spend with you?
Pay-Per-Click Advertising (PPC) is one of the highest return-on-investment options available and can have an immediate, verifiable impact on your business.
PPC ads get your business on the first page of Google instantly.
- Your competitors can target a specific, small, geographic region in your service area
- They can find customers based on specific behaviours and attitudes
- They can promote high-demand services to fill up limited available spaces fast
Your competitor’s PPC campaign probably gets them lots of calls. Your competitor also probably doesn't have its own PPC specialist (like you could if you worked with us). The specialist bids on keywords and does a lot of background campaign management to get your ad a high rank and, more importantly, in front of the people you want to work with.
With a PPC specialist on your side, you never pay more for a click than you’re willing to, and daily limits keep spending low.
When one click is potentially worth $10,000, why not fish for that big sale with a few shiny dimes?
Yours is a personal business, so make personal connections.
Your clients invite you into their homes and your work could be a fixture in their lives for years.
They need to be comfortable with you. It’s a relationship, not just a transaction.
Your competitors nurture client relationships efficiently. Do you?
Nurture client relationships with email marketing. It might sound outdated, but email marketing is still the heavyweight champion of digital marketing, with an average of $44 returned for every $1 spent, according to Campaign Monitor's 2016 annual report.
How does email marketing get your competitors those big clients? It’s all about repeat business.
- The Branson family needs a bathroom renovation contractor, so they hire contractor X in January
- The reno finishes that month, and contractor X records the Branson family email
- Over the next several months, the Branson’s receive monthly emails from contractor X about specials, new services, and new projects (including a recent garage construction project)
- Turns out the Branson’s planned to build a new garage in August
- Contractor X is the first call they make. The emails kept this home reno contractor right in front of the Branson family and got a $20,000 garage build for an investment of just a few hundred dollars
Your competitors have larger and more active email marketing programs, but it won’t take a lot to get you caught up (and ahead).
Take Pictures of Your work and Let Potential Clients See It.
Successful home renovation contractors use social media well and often.
Why? What does Facebook have to do with home renovations?
- If you posted on Facebook daily, you’d control the conversation around your business
- If you posted pictures of your work on Houzz, you’d get better Google results
- If you responded to customer inquiries on Twitter, you’d have a better reputation
Most home reno contractors don’t actually have the time to stay on top of social media marketing, that’s why they work with a digital agency like us.
The clients you want to find are on social media.
So are your competitors.
Families want to see lots of your work. They want to get a feel for who you are. A good set of social media accounts does some heavy lifting through your sales funnel.
Things Change. You Gotta Change to Stay Competitive.
You don’t do the same kind of kitchen renovation today as you did 15 years ago. Trends shift, and when clients ask for something new, you better be ready to react.
- How many people visit the website
- Where they come from and what they want
- What website visitors read, click, and how long they read something
- How long it took to turn a visitor into a sales lead
- What path led them to convert to a lead
When you know all the data, you can shift your marketing strategies to stay in line with your desired customers.
If several customers visit your competitor’s website searching for a carpeted bathroom renovation (pretty weird idea, but who are we to judge), your competitor will know about it and adjust the web content to address that need.
More customers will be drawn to that content, and more contracts for weird carpeted bathroom renovations will come in.
Your competitors can see exactly what’s happening from behind the scenes on their websites. Shouldn’t you?
To stay competitive in your industry, you have to stay competitive in ours.
Call us to talk about exactly how we can help your business grow by as much as 30% this year. We’ll show you in a clear and transparent way how home renovation contractors like you benefit from a good relationship with a local digital marketing agency, and how we can get you more phone calls right away. Download our free eBook to learn more about how you can generate more qualified leads.